Poisoning

There are four ways in which a victim may be poisoned . Poison may be swallowed , inhaled, injected or absorbed through the skin. If a poison victim becomes unconscious or has difficulty breathing call for an ambulance immediately .

A person who has swallowed something poisonous may die within minutes if they are not treated . The first step is to find out what kind of poison the person has swallowed. Call a doctor or a poison control centre immediately and follow the instructions that you are given carefully.

If a person has inhaled a poison like carbon monoxide or chlorine gas move him or her to fresh air at once. Open all doors and windows .

Injected poisons are those that come from insect stings or bites. If you are stung by a bee the stinger remains in the wound . Remove it carefully and put ice on the sting or run cold water over it. If a person is bitten by a tick pull out the remaining part carefully and slowly . Use a glove or something else but not your bare hands. Do not try to burn it off or put oil on it. If a rash or flu-like symptoms develop in the following weeks contact a doctor.

Sometimes a victim may have an allergy towards bites or stings . In such a case either call a doctor , an ambulance or take the person to the nearest hospital .

Poisons can also be absorbed through the skin if you get in contact with poisonous plants or chemical substances . In such a case remove all the clothes that someone is wearing and flush the skin with water for about 10 minutes.

After a bee sting, the stinger is left in the skin

Waugsberg, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons